Monday, December 2, 2013

Technical Trouble

Advancements in technology have lengthened human life and have raised the standard of living.  Thanks to technology, the Earth can support a greater population.  In return, technology has asked for our dependence and teachers have willingly given it.

When technology lets teachers down, students take the hardest hit.  When power points don't load for a student's presentation, the student must improvise and continue.  The teacher, on the other hand, may simply change lesson plans.  When a school site crashes, students frantically ask one another what the homework is.  The same happens when teachers forget to post the assignment online.  Some teachers will post the assignment in the early hours of the next morning and expect it done and other teachers will tell students to do it the next night, along with the newly assigned homework.  Even when teachers do upload the assignment, complications are always a reality.


Teachers enjoy the ease of posting assignments online and not having to print photo copies for the class.  I can't even do my math homework half the time without having to log into Facebook!  With more and more assignments requiring internet, it is becoming harder and harder for me to complete my homework by a decent hour.
In elementary and middle school, I could take my homework with me and work on it during car rides or while waiting at the dentist's.  This is rarely the case now.  Now readings, questions, and activities are all online.

This is not typically a problem for those with smart phones or other Wi-Fi devices.  I am not one of those people.  I had a basketball game tonight that required a 40 minute car ride each way.  There was a minimal amount of homework I was able to complete in those 80 minutes.  That is why tonight will be a late night and tomorrow morning will be an early one.  Tonight is not a lone case.  Tonight's game is just one game in a tournament of games.

Is technology making our lives easier?  Sure.  Is technology making my homework harder to complete than it should be?  Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment